Company Banner

Company Banner

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Art of Pique Assiette


I recently picked up my March 2010 issue of Style At Home and perused the pages hoping to find some design inspiration. I have to say this particular issue blew me away. I love the fact that S@H has such a diverse selection from design ideas and even art projects. One that stood out to me was an article called “Pretty In Pique.” It was just a one-pager brief snippet of info and picture of the art form called ‘pique assiette.’ Boy, did it ever catch my attention. Now for all of those googling “pique assiette” to find out what it is, let me save you some time.

Pique assiette, in itself, is an art form. Defined as a type of mosaic, pique uses broken pieces of dish, tile, glass, pottery and ceramic to arrange intricate configurations of pattern. The real beauty of this art is that it can be used on a wide range of surfaces varying from unique counter tops to exceptionally beautiful and personal pieces of art. It is documented to have originated in 1930’s France by Raymond Edouard Isadore, loosely meaning “stolen from plate.” Isadore spent his life covering every surface of his house and garden in “stolen from plate,” transforming his home into a popular tourist attraction to this very day. (“Maison Picassiette” in Paris, France)

I have to admit, upon my research on the topic I found not all pique assiette creations were to my personal style or liking. In fact, when I have seen pique in real life (without realizing its name, origins, or its point, for that matter), in most cases it looked too “kitschy” or just “not right.” This being before the realization that pique assiette is wholly an individual expression of significance. Significance in the recycled objects found and placed into the design and the significance of capturing a personal touch. What a find!
Happy decorating!
Jennifer

(Image from Style At Home, March 2010, page 22)

No comments:

Post a Comment